Sunday, December 5, 2010

Candy Canes

My mom wrote me in an email about how she took Ruby to go get their Christmas tree and gave Ruby a candy cane. She told Ruby that the candy cane is shaped like a staff to remind us of the shepherds that visited Jesus. I had always thought that the candy cane was to remind us of St. Nicholas's staff, but found that I was wrong. My mom was right. I found this interesting article on the Christianity Today website. It says that it originated at the Cologne Cathedral when the choirmaster was frustrated with the children that couldn't stop moving during the nativity. He thought it might be a way to preoccupy them.

The candy cane is symbolic.

It is hard to remind us that God's church is founded on the rock.

It is white to represent Jesus's purity.

Red to represent Christ's blood.

(Sometimes) green to represents Christ's gift to us.

Pepperment to remind us of cleansing hyssop.

Shaped like a staff to remind us of the shepherds who visited the Christ child.

And upside down it makes a J for Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment