Saturday, September 11, 2010
Naguib Mahfouz
Yesterday, I went back to the bookstore Shakespeare and Co. in the fifth arrondissement to sell the book I just finished - Marilynne Robinson's Home (which was really good) and to buy a new book. It seemed like divine providence that I stumbled upon a Nobel Prize winning Egyptian author, Naguib Mahfouz. When he was still in secondary school he began sending in articles to get published to the journal al-Majalla al-jadida, "The New Review." By the time he was twenty-seven the magazine proprietor helped him publish his first book, Khufu's Wisdom, a novel of ancient Egypt! So, I am excited to begin this new book that fits in so well with my Egyptian studies! Here is a link to an article written in the New York Times about Mahfouz when he died: Naguib Mahfouz, Chronicler of Arab Life, Dies at 94. At the site, there are also links to other articles written about him and his books.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment